The day pillar, or daymaster, is perhaps the most important pillar of your birth chart. In Ba Zi, the heavenly stem (top element) of the day is called the daymaster. In a Ba Zi analysis, this daymaster is referenced against the birth year, month, and hour pillar to reveal your destiny and life path.
The top element stem (daymaster) represents you-your spirit, qi, life force, wellbeing and/or consciousness. The bottom animal sign (earthly stem) is your marriage/partnership branch.
As a beginner without the knowledge on how to plot a Bazi birth chart yet, you may use any software, mobile app or website to find your day pillar or daymaster. You may use the following link for a start:
The element of your daymaster represents a specific energy. There are a total of 10 stems, derived from five elements expressed twice, once in a positive yang form and once in a negative yin form.
The Heaven[y Stems
1. Jia Yang Wood: e.g. trees, big wood, forest…etc
2. Yi Yin Wood: milled timber, small grass, grass field…etc
3. Bing Yang Fire: lightning, sun, huge fire…etc
4. Ding Yin Fire: candle or incense, starlight, moon…etc
5. Wu Yang Earth: hills, mountain, big rock…etc
6. Ji Yin Earth: pottery/stoneware, sand, soft clay…etc
7. Geng Yang Metal: ore, big knife, swords, metal weapons…etc
8. Xin Yin Metal: kettle, gold jewelry, small and fine gold decoration…etc
9. Ren Yang Water: saltwater, ocean, river…etc
10. Gui Yin Water: fresh water, raindrop, water vapor…etc
Within each of the 12 earthly branches (animal signs), each presents a direction, and there are one or more hidden stems, or elements, that will also become part of your chart equation. The 12 Earthly Branches:
1. Zi Rat Water: North
2. Chou Ox Earth: North/Northeast
3. Yin Tiger Wood: East/Northeast
4. Mao Rabbit Wood: East
5. Chen Dragon Earth: East/Southeast
6. Si Snake Fire: South/Southeast
7. Wu Horse Fire: South
8. Wei Goat Earth: South/Southwest
9. Shen Monkey Metal: West/Southwest
10. You Rooster Metal: West
11. Xu Dog Earth: West/Northwest
12. Hai Pig Water: North/Northwest
These heavenly and earthly stems also have Feng Shui and Geomancy implication, which will be taught subsequently, after you have mastered the basics. They will also interact with one another, in relationship that combine with one another or conflict with one another which will be taught progressively. What’s most important now is to have a very clear understanding of the basic concepts, so that future lessons will be easier to understand.